22 May 2011

Apple Pie






Apple Pie doesn't need much of an introduction. Everyone knows what Apple Pie is and what it tastes like. Everyone has an amazing go-to recipe. Well, this is mine. 

I first made this recipe two years ago while in Alabama visiting my family. My brother loves Apple and Pumpkin Pie, so I just had to make him both. I'll share my Pumpkin Pie recipe on another post, you'll love it. 




I couldn't resist making a 'Y' with the left over dough. 

I won't tell you this is the most amazing Apple Pie recipe ever in the whole wide world. It probably is, though. I'm just going to encourage you to try it. You should try it. 


The secret: use different types of Apples. 


For this one in particular, I used: Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Macintosh. The different types of apples bring a diverse flavor palate to the pie. The tartness of the Granny Smith goes well with the sweetness of the Golden Delicious.


This recipe is slightly less sweet than the Apple Pies you might be used to. It originally calls for over a cup of sugar, but I don't tolerate overly sweet foods so I cut it almost in half. If you want add a whole cup plus a little more for a super sweet Pie. Take into account how sweet the Apple you're using are.


The crust is flaky, buttery and slightly sweet. The shortening helps it develop a light texture.     


Top everything with a dollop of fresh, homemade Whipped Cream and enjoy.






For the Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
I teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons shortening
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water

For the Filling:
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 Golden Delicious Apples
1 Macintosh Apple
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar

For the Egg Wash:
1 Egg
1 tbsp Water
1 tsp Sugar








-Chop the cold butter and cold shortening into small squares.

-All all of the ingredients for the crust to a bowl, including the chopped butter and shortening.

-Using your hands (or a mixer) mix well all of the ingredients until incorporated. Form the dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the freezer.

-Prepare 3 cups of very cold water with the juice of one lemon.

-Peel and slice the apples. Add them to the cold water as you cut them.

-Once they are all sliced, rinse drain the water from the bowl.

-Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let it sit on the counter top.

-Butter a pie pan.

-Take the dough out of the fridge, divide it into two equal parts.

-Roll the first part and put it in your pan. 

-Add the apples.

-Roll the second part, put it on top of the apples, covering completely. 

-Poke 4 holes with a very sharp knife, or just one in the middle. So the steam can escape.

-Put it in the freezer for 5 minutes. The colder the dough is, the flakier it will be when cooked.   

-Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with a little extra sugar on top if you want.

-Bake for one hour at 400 degrees.

-Let it rest for 30 minutes before cutting into it. It will prevent the juices from dripping out of the pie when you serve it.  
   









6 comments:

Mrs. Stranded said...

I do the same thing! I use three different kinds of apples in my pie and it really is the key to a great pie. I like the cute "Y" for decoration.

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

What a lovely dish. My kids think I'm super boring, but apple pie is my favorite dessert ever. Yours came out beautiful.

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) said...

Sounds like an amazing pie! I haven't ever made my own apple pie, but I like the sounds of the variety of apples in it! Delicious! I'm book marking for later.

Yadi I. said...

Mrs. Stranded:
You're right, different types of apples are really the key.

Rivki:
There is nothing boring about Apple Pie!

Jenn:
I really hope you make the pie!

Galexi Cupcakes said...

Hi,
I want to ask you permission to use the foto of your mini apple pies for my blog's October favorites round up. All credit will be linked to your blog as I normally do with all my round ups. You can respond to my request via my email and consider this an invitation to visit my little humble blog. Thank you,
Jackie

Nish said...

Hi, what is shortening?
Sorry, I never made anything with it & I don't know what it is (or even it's substitute, if any), but would like to try the Apple Pie.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.