30 April 2011

Warm Pigeon Pea & Chorizo Salad




Lately I've been craving Chorizo non-stop. I don't know what that's about. Meat has never been the center piece of my meals. In fact, I was a Vegan once, for about six months. Most of my daily meals are vegetarian. Not on purpose, but because that's how I've always eaten.


That being said, I'm a little confused by my Chorizo cravings. There's something about that small piece of meat that packs so much flavor in a teeny-tiny bite. 



This wonderful dish, was one of the appetizers I served at my birthday party tonight. My birthday was actually last tuesday (April 26).


But the Pigeon Peas (Gandules), are just the excuse to eat Chorizo. 


Served warm with saltine crackers, this 'salad' is absolutely delicious. The vinegar caramelizes, giving the peas a sweet and tangy flavor. Add the sharpness of fresh Cilantro to that and you get an amazing explosion of flavors in your mouth. 





15 ounces of Pigeon Peas (Gandules Verdes)
6 ounces of chorizo
one small Red Onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
one Garlic Clove, minced
3 tbsp White OR Apple cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Yellow OR Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp Brown Sugar (or any sugar)
3 tbsp Oil (I use Olive)
1 Laurel Leaf
1/2 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
a pinch of Red Chili Peppers Seeds
Salt & Pepper to taste



-Cube or chop the chorizo into small, bite size, pieces.

-In a big sauce pan, add the oil, chorizo, chopped onion and garlic. Add a little salt and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are translucent (about 4 minutes).

-Add the red pepper seeds and laurel leaf. Cook for another 30 seconds. 

-Add the vinegar, sugar and mustard. Cook for 30 seconds.

-Add the pigeon peas and incorporate into the sauce.

-Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. There shouldn't be a lot of liquid, just enough to keep the peas moist and shiny. Add a little more oil if you think it's necessary. 

- Add the cilantro right before serving. Mix well.

I prepared this, 3 days before the party. The pigeon peas really absorbed all of the flavors. It can be served warm or cold, it's your choice. Eat it with multi grain crackers for a bolder flavor. 

    





1 comment:

JessieB said...

Wow! I never thought to use gandules in a cold preparation like that. It looks awesome!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.