21 April 2011

This is what I call a Puertorican Oatmeal




A few weeks ago, I was asked by a reader and fellow food blogger, Karina,  to give her the recipe for an oatmeal she had when she came to Puerto Rico. It might sound a little weird. Oatmeal is Oatmeal, right? Not really



I grew up with my Gradnma's creamy oatmeal in the table every morning. As an adult, I only eat oats in cookie form (bad, i know!).



Right after graduating high school, I moved to the US to go to college. One of the first things I noticed about the breakfast bar, is that the Oatmeal looked ugly. I never dare to ask how it was prepared. Never actually tasted it. 


  
Soon after those experiences, I started realizing that Oatmeal was traditionally prepared with water and salt. Really? Water and salt? No wonder it looked so bad! It was a huge difference from the creamy and sweet breakfast I was used to. 


There isn't a science or special ingredients on how to make Oatmeal the Puertorican way. The important thing is to use only milk and just a little water to balance things out. But the water isn't completely necessary.


Over the years, I've seen countless ways to make Oatmeal, but this is still my favorite. 


I'm not sure what the traditional american way of preparing Oatmeal is, but this how we do it. 


This recipe yields one serving.



 1 cup of Milk
2 tbsp of Water
2 tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 Pinches of Cinnamon
1/3 cup Oats




-In a small sauce pan, heat the milk, sugar, salt, water and ONE pinch of Cinnamon. 

- Once it's about to boil, add the oats and cook until done. Cooking times depend on the type of oats you're using (instant or traditional). 

-Once the oats are cooked, pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with another pinch of cinnamon.



8 comments:

Kankana said...

I too eat oats only in cookies :P This looks very creamy and with that touch of cinnamon I bet it will taste awsm and I might probably eat them for breakfast :)

The Experimental Cook said...

I have oats for all my lunch - with condensed milk. Just when it gets boring, I see this recipe. Wonderful !

I love your blog and would like to give you this award. Please drop by to collect it ;)

Natasha Green ★ said...

Oatmeal is lovely! What have you sprinkle on top of it, cinnamon? Thank you for sharing this on your blog :)
I wanted to let you know that I have tagged you in an Easter menu tag game, I was invited by the cajunlicious blogger. Please visit my blog to find out more and to participate.
All the best, Natasha from the Rambles and Shambles blog!

Yadi I. said...

Natasha: What an interesting game! It's making me hungry!

The Experimental Cook: How did it never occur to me to add condensed milk?!?!?!

Kankana: Try it, you'll love it!

Karina said...

I saw this on your blog and was so excited to read it! And for a week my computer would lock up every time I looked..so frustrating! I am finally here and as always struck by your amazing photos. Thank you for posting! I also heard to use condensed milk in PR oatmeal! (going to go catch up and drool over the rest of your recipes now..)

Yadi I. said...

Karina:

I'm glad you could see it! Yes, I've heard that some people add a little Evaporated Milk, not condensed, to their oatmeal to make it richer.

Sylvie (Wherever Sylvie is) said...

http://whereversylvie.blogspot.com/2011/07/puertorican-oatmeal.html I made this oatmeal, it´s amazing! So yummy!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh this is how Dominicans enjoy their oatmeal as well! My father makes his bowl with a couple of cloves, a cinnamon stick and a little vanilla.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.