28 April 2011

Strawberry Jam





Seriously, this has to be the easiest recipe I've ever made. It's the base for delicious foods like Strawberry Milk and Strawberry Syrup.

 It can be made with fresh or frozen berries. Even dried strawberries work, if you soak them before preparation. Really, anything goes.

I made this specifically to eat with Cream Scones and Clotted Milk. As part of my 'Royal Wedding Viewing Party', which consists of my and my dog. I'm supposed to wake up my mom, but I'm sure she'll fall asleep right back. 

Who says I can't have a decent English snack by myself while watching the wedding? Of course, Black Tea with Milk are part of the menu. It's a great way to spend the morning.

I'm not saying this is the right way to make Strawberry Jam, but this is how I make it.  

*Tip: Don't add the entire amount of sugar at once. Add it by the spoonful until you get the jam as sweet as you'd like it. I don't think I added the entire amount. But be careful while tasting, it can get very hot. 

This recipe yields one half cup of jam.






8 or 10 frozen Strawberries
1/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Water
1 tsp fresh Lemon Juice (optional)




-In a sauce pan, mix all ingredients (you don't have to thaw the berries before hand).

-Cook over high heat until it starts to boil. 

-With a potato masher or a similar instrument, mash the strawberries.  

-Then turn the heat down and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated and it starts to thicken.

-Remove from heat and add the lemon juice.

Let it cool down and bit before putting it in the fridge. Eat it warm or cold, it's good either way.





8 comments:

Vivienne said...

nothing beats home made jams! i cant wait to stock up on some fruits to make jams again!

nice royal wedding plans...im also planning to eat cakes in front of the tv lol.

kankana said...

Perfect .. easy and tasty looking!I may have missed it in the post, how long can you store it ?

Yadi I. said...

Vivienne: I wanted to be super fancy and eat only traditional english foods, but after the biscuits and tea I ate a taco.Yes, that early in the morning.


Kankana: When I make jam, I usually store it for up to a week. After a week, it starts losing its freshness. But it almost never lasts that long anyway. It's so delicious!

Carolyn Jung said...

This is the perfect jam for me. I'm still rather frightened by that whole water-bath processing stuff. So to make a small quantity of fresh jam like this that I can just keep in the fridge is ideal. Yum!

Yadi I. said...

Carolyn:
I agree with you. It's better to make small amounts of jam to keep in the fridge. It's healthier and less processed. Plus you can control the sugar amount.

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

I can't wait for strawberry season to try this! I've already bookmarked it and am counting the days till we can go picking. What a simple, lovely recipe.

Epicurean Mom said...

Yum!! I'm going to make this asap! SO glad you found me!! LOVE your blog! Pictures are so beautiful! :)

http://www.epicureanmom.com

Yadi I. said...

Epicurean Mom:
Thanks for the super nice comment! I LOVE your Blog.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.