10 April 2011

Rocky Road Brownies





Brownies aren't my favorite confection, but the picture in the recipe looked so pretty I had to make some for my Grandpa. He likes anything and everything that I make. Even if it's bad, he'll eat it. Once, he ate a very stinky Banana Bread I made. I'm his only granddaughter, maybe he is eating it out of love for me (maybe...).

I tasted the brownies as soon as they came out of the oven, they were really good. If you're really into brownies, you'll love these. 


The recipe came from an old magazine I found in my room the other day. I'm not sure who wrote it. 


The look from the top isn't so pretty. The marshmallows burned and the chocolate melted. But the last one was my fault. I hate chocolate that's made especially for baking, so I bought a regular chocolate candy bar. I knew it would melt and not hold its shape, but that didn't matter to me. At that point what's important is flavor.



The texture isn't too gooey, like traditional brownies. But moist enough to resemble one. Mine came out a little dry because I over cooked the batter (again, this was entirely my fault. Not the recipe's fault).





Cocoa powder 1/2 cup

Hot water 3 Tbsp

Eggs  2


Butter 3/4 cup

Brown Sugar 1/2 cup

Flour 1 1/3 cup

Baking powder 1/4 tsp


Pure Vanilla extract 1 tsp

Chopped Peanuts 1/2 cup (or any nut you like)

Miniature marshmallows 1/4 cup

Chocolate chips 1/2 cup



-Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.


-In a bowl combine the cocoa powder and softened butter. 

-Add the hot water into this and mix well.

-Mix the sugar, salt, vanilla and eggs in a separate bowl.
-Add the cocoa mixture into the sugar mixture, and mix well with a whisk.

-Mix in the flour and baking powder.

-Add half the peanuts and half the chocolate chips.

-Bake until done, for about 25 minutes.

-When it's done, sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips, peanuts and marshmallows.

-On broil, brown the marshmallows for 2 minutes or until they're  brown.

-Wait until it has cooled a bit, then cut and enjoy.




This picture was my Grandpa's idea. He thought it would be funny to stick a fork into the brownie. The entire shoot took place at his apartment, so he was my assistant for the day. 









2 comments:

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

How sweet that you made these for your grandpa even though you're not a big fan. I am...so I'm glad you shared! These photos are beautiful.

Vivienne said...

haha that picture is quite cool with the fork standing on it ;)
what a lovely grandpa you have who is so supportive of your cooking! im not a huge fan of brownie too but will have a slice or two from tiem to time!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.