19 April 2011

Chana Masala with Friends




Today, I invited my best friend over for dinner. We eat dinner together at least once a week. I've known her since we were twelve. We use that time to catch up on each other's lives. Not that we don't talk during the rest of the week. We text every day, all day long, like fifteen year olds. But an iPhone will never brings us as close as we get when we share a meal together.


Indian food is our favorite. Not individually, just when we are together. Let me explain, I only cook Indian food when I know she is coming. I've made all sorts of vegetable curries, but never for just myself.


Indian and puertorican foods, have the same ingredients, the seasoning is what's different. What they call 'Curry', we call 'Sofrito'.  



There is a wonderful site that I discovered through Youtube: Manjula's Kitchen. She has several videos online, as well as a web page. That's my go to place when looking for authentic Indian recipes. 

I also made some Naan, to eat with the Chana Masala (recipe for Naan here). To finish the meal, we ate yogurt and fresh blackberries. I had some Mangoes ready for dessert, but they turned out to be overripe. 

This recipe yields 3 servings.  







3 cups cooked Chickpeas (Garbanzo Bean)
3 tbsp Oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1.5 tsp Cumin Seed
1.5 tbsp Chickpea Flour (use  2 tsp wheat flour as a substitute)
the Puree from one big Tomato (puree it in a food processor)
1 tsp Ginger Powder
1 tbsp ground Coriander Seed
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric
2 cups of Water
Salt to taste





-Put the oil in a big sauce pan and heat it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and cook for one minute.



-Add the Chickpea flour and cook for another 30 seconds.




-Add the pureed tomato and mix well.



-Add the rest of the spices at once and mix well. Cook this mixture, stirring well, for 2 minutes.



-You should have a thick curry by now.


-Add the chickpeas and cook for 2 more minutes. 





-Add the water and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Until the sauce has thickened a bit and the chickpeas are really soft. 






Serve immediately with a piece of Naan bread. Garnish with fresh tomato, fresh cilantro and a piece of lemon. 










6 comments:

Kankana said...

one of my fav dish and yours looking super yummy .. gorgeous click! :)

Mark said...

Excellent work! I buy a similar dish prepackaged at Trader Joe's. Yours is obviously much more appetizing. Great work with the curry and the spices too. The kitchen must have smelled great!

Aubry said...

This looks lovely and so easy! I adore chickpeas so I'll have to try this.

Diana said...

I love Libyan food. Always fresh and tasty, also very healthy.

themustardseed said...

Love the photographs on your blog. I was exploring your vegetarian recipes and enjoyed them so much! These look delicious!

Nish said...

Nice! Both the Naan & Chana Masala look great!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.