16 April 2011


I can't count the times I've made this cake. Originally, this is a Raspberry Buttermilk Cake recipe, but you can customize it with your favorite berry. I've used blueberry (as featured here), raspberries and now, blackberries. This is the type of cake you can't mess up even if you tried. 

The buttermilk keeps it moist for days. Not that it'll last that long. 
In my house, it's gone in under 12 hours.


The lemony flavor goes so well with berries, but it's not overpowering. 


By scattering a little sugar on top of the batter and fruit once in the baking dish, the cake develops a slightly crunchy crust on top. The first few times I made this recipe, I skipped that step. Now I wish I hadn't. 


*Tip: You can substitute buttermilk in this recipe for a half cup of milk plus 1 tsp of vinegar. Mix well and let it stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before adding to the batter.  







1 Egg
1 1/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Butter (softened)
2/3 cup Sugar, Plus 1 1/2 tbsp
1/2 tsp Lemon Zest (or Vanilla)
1/2 cup Buttermilk (or substitute)
As many Berries as you like. I used 16.




-Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.



-Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside. 




-In a larger bowl, beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about two minutes. Then beat in vanilla or zest. Add egg and beat well.

-Mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk. Beginning and ending with flour. 

-Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter the berries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar.




-Bake until cake is golden, 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees. 


Notice the white specks on top. That's the thin crust, melted sugar forms. 




*This comment is totally silly and completely unrelated, but notice how the ingredients list looks like a pyramid. That wasn't on purpose.  



  

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Wish I had this to eat for breakfast tomorrow. Your pictures are always so beautiful! Can't wait to see what's next!

The Experimental Cook said...

I love every one of your delicous pictures ! You have a creative way of writing your posts too. Very refreshing.

Natasha Green ★ said...

I found your blog on foodie blog roll.
This cake looks divine! I may have to have a bash at this!
All the best, Natasha from the Rambles and Shambles blog.

Yadi I. said...

Thank you for all your nice comments. That's what really keeps me going!

sheila @ Elements said...

Oh yum!!! I've bookmarked this recipe 'cause I definitely want to make it one these days! :)

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

JessieB said...

Ohh! That looks so good! I have a similar recipe for what is essentially a lemon pound cake that I put with a super lemony cream cheese frosting. I bet this cake would go well with that frosting too!

Carrie said...

I love forest fruits, they are so fresh and healthy. I will make this special pie for my kids and serve it with some cream. :)

Anonymous said...

could you use strawberries instead??

Yadi I. said...

Annonymous:
Yes! You can use any berry ypu want. Just make sure they're fresh. Not frozen or dried.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.