19 March 2011

Ricotta & Lemon Cake





Anyone who knows me, knows perfectly well that Lemon is my favorite food. There is nothing like it. everything tastes better with Lemon. My second favorite food is Cheese. I've had a love affair with cheese for years. I'll add it to anything.


So when I saw this recipe posted in one of my favorite food blogs, I ran to the store (not literally) to get some Ricotta. If you have the time, check out this recipe for homemade Ricotta.



I urge you to try this recipe as soon as you can. Whatever other Lemon Cake recipe you've ever tried doesn't compare to this one.


The texture of the batter was grainy from the beginning thanks to the Ricotta. I knew that the end result would be crumbly to perfection. I wasn't disappointed.


*Note: A a reader pointed out that I used a different baking pan. I baked my cake in a round 9 inch spring pan. This recipe originally calls for a 9 inch loaf pan. Feel free to use any type of 9 inch pan you have available. 




1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more to grease the baking pan
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 lemons, zested






1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan with butter. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, ricotta cheese,  and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and lemon zest and mix until combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients, a small amount at a time, until just incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, place the mixed berries in a small bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir well and set aside until serving time.
5. To serve, slice the pound cake and serve with a spoonful of mixed berries. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Serves 10-12





11 comments:

kener said...

This sounds so good and I have some fresh lemons that a friend picked for me. Thank you (and for the recipe for homemade ricotta!)

crunchandchew said...

This reminds me a lot of lemon cheesecake :) Lovely photo!

Old Stuff said...

Sounds wonderful and I will try it but I have a question....the recipe calls for a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. The picture you use to 'lure' us in is obviously not from a loaf pan. Did you use a round cake pan or pie pan and why?
I love the look of your slice!

Yadi I. said...

You're right about the baking pan! I used a round 9 inch spring pan because the pan that the recipe calls for was dirty and I was lazy enough not to wash it. Feel free to use any 9 inch baking pan in any shape you want. It'll be just as delicious!

Vivienne said...

guess what, i happen to have ricotta and lemon in my fridge :) i cant wait to give this a go soon! cheese is on top of my fav list of food too! hehe

Yadi I. said...

You'll love this recipe, Vivienne!

sucre en poudre said...

Sounds yummy!
iza:)

Anonymous said...

wonder if i could substitute some blood oranges i'm trying to finish up ... hmmm ...

Kristin said...

I tried this recipe over the weekend and it was fantastic! I also used a 9" round and it turned out perfectly! So happy to have found your blog! Thanks!

Yadi I. said...

Anonymous:
Try the Blood Oranges! I made this cake again over the weekend, but this time used limes, instead of lemons.

Kristin:
I'm so happy that the cake turned out fantastic for you!

Cat said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. My mom ate this probably 50 years ago and hasn't had it since. I had it 15 years ago and haven't found it anywhere. We've both been looking and now I have the recipe!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.