30 March 2011

Pastelillos de Guayaba (Guava Pastries)






This is a very old post, that I have updated with a new picture.



I wish I knew how to translate the word 'Pastelillo' into English. If it were a savory recipe, I could call it Empanada (I do realize that's another Spanish word). Does anyone know how to correctly translate it?

There are as many meanings for that word as there are Spanish speaking countries. 

Since I don't know the right English word, I'll just describe what it is. Very simple: Puff Pastry and Guava Paste. That's it!

Cut the Puff Pastry into round or square shapes (any size will do). Put a little Guava Paste in the center of one piece. Then cover with another piece, press the edges and bake until done (about 15-20 minutes depending on how many you're making). Sprinkle the top with Powdered Sugar after they have cooled down.

This is a very Puertorrican recipe. You can find these delicious pastries in every bakery. 










   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastelillitos is leterally translated in to little pies. I usually just tell people they're little pocket pies. They're so tasty and easy to make that they're one of my go-to pastries to take to parties when I want to impress but have very little time.

MyFudo™ said...

I rarely find a guava dish/recipe. This is a good post. I have recently learned that guava has t higher Vit C content, compared to other citrus fruits. Vitamin C helps us reduce fine lines. For women, that is a blessing, right? If the steps to being more radiant tastes as delicious as these pies, then, count me in! ;)

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen said...

I love guava and i love puff.... :) No matter the name, these just looks mouth-watering! i wish i was your neighbour!

Y said...

Looks so simple yet so lovely. I've never baked with guava paste before, but love the flavour of guava.

Purabi Naha said...

Loved the pictures. What a brilliant idea! I am bookmarking your recipe.
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Jaclyn said...

Wow! These look amazing! I love guayaba! I have to try these! Thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.