21 March 2011

Mixed Berry Lemonade






I do realize that in most parts of the world the temperatures are still low. But in my part of the world, it's 85 degrees and sunny all year round. It's a blessing and curse, really. I wish I could wear boots and scarves all the time. But instead I'm stuck with beach weather everyday.



Inspired by the blazing hot sun that we had today in Puerto Rico, I decided to look for a lemonade recipe. The original recipe called for fresh raspberries, but all I had was about a third of a cup of frozen mixed berries and a single frozen strawberry.


Just looking at it makes me want to go to the beach and soak up the sun, even though I'd rather be wearing cute winter gloves right now. 


I hope that wherever you are, and whatever the temperature is, you try this lemonade. Even if it's freezing in your part of the world.


Tip: Cut up a lemon into small pieces and put them in the freezer. When frozen, add to the lemonade to help it keep cold while enjoying it under the sun.













1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice (about 3 large lemons)
1/3 any frozen or fresh Berries you have available
1/2 cup Sugar*
4 1/2 cups Water


*The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar, but I only used half because I don't like overly sweet drinks. Feel free to add more or less depending on your taste.






-Combine the sugar and 1/2 of the water in a sauce pan and simmer until the sugar dissolves into the water. 

-Puree (or at least chop) the frozen berries in the food processor or blender.

-Squeeze the lemons to get as much juice out them as you can. Add the juice and berry puree to the sauce pan with the sugar syrup and simmer for 5 minutes (do not boil). 

-Let it rest for 10 minutes. Pour it through a strainer. You should have a thick syrup.

-Then add the remaining 4 cups of water. 

-Mix well and let it chill before serving. You can add lemon rinds and fruit pieces to the lemonade to infuse more flavor.  












3 comments:

Mary said...

LOVE that color pink - totally drew me in! Sounds (and looks!) fantastic!

Great blog!

Mary xx
Delightful Bitefuls

sucre en poudre said...

fantastic recipe!
iza:)

Yadi I. said...

Mary & Sucre en poudre: Thanks you so much for your comments!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.