09 February 2011

Lemon & Honey Pound Cake

       Lemon is one of my favorite ingredients, and I’m always inspired by it. But there are a few recipes that I just keep making again and again. Lemon Pound Cake is one of them. The other one being Lemon Chicken.

       This particular recipe is tastes very fresh and comforting. It has Honey in the batter as well as in the glaze. The flavors of Honey and lemon together remind me of when I was a little girl. My grandmother used to have a lime tree in the backyard and honey was always in the pantry. She would put some honey in a big spoon and drizzle it with a little fresh squeezed lime juice, it tasted like heaven.

       I recommend using raw sugar (Turbinado) for this recipe because it compliments the honey flavors very well.

Enjoy it warm with a little Nutella on top.

1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Zest of 1 full lemon
Juice of 1 full lemon for glaze
1 tbsp honey for glaze
1/4 cup powdered sugar for glaze

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the center. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

-In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer blend together the honey, sugar, butter and eggs. Add the milk and lemon zest then mix further.

-Add the flour mixture and blend it until it's smooth. Make sure to scrape off any little bits of zest that stick to the beaters and reintroduce them to the mixture.

-Pour it into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake it for 30 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean and the top is a golden brown. It will bake much quicker on the top and edges so it will make you think that it's baked through and even verging on burning, but don't let it fool you, the center needs to be baked too. A few minutes longer and it will set in the center. The toothpick test is the key.
-In a small bowl whisk together the reserved lemon juice, honey and powdered sugar. With a spoon drizzle the glaze over top of the warm cake and let it soak in for 10 – 15 minutes. Using the parchment paper overhang lift the cake out of the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing it.


I found this recipe here.


Sonia said...

Awesome pound cake. I loved the addition of honey in place of sugar..love dit !

Alina said...

Aww! I love lemon too! It's one of my favourite ingredients ever! And I love the smell of honey in a cake! I'm bookmarking this recipe to try it someday. I'll get back to you to let you know how it went for me. Sounds fantastic! And looks too!

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Look great Yadi! I'm so glad you enjoyed my recipe! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.