06 February 2011

Fat-Free Pumpkin Soup with Edible Flowers



Decorated with Cream and Pumpkin Seeds.




Creamy with lots of texture. 

       It's been a while since I last posted. I have to admit that I got a little discouraged by the 'food blog' world. I was spending more time taking pictures and styling than actually cooking. What some people don't realize is all the work behind the scenes and all there is to learn. But this recipe brought me back! Hopefully, I'll be blogging regularly again. 


       The idea for this recipe came from my best friend who makes the best pumpkin soup in the world. But she refused to give me her recipe, so I tried to replicate it as well as I could. She did tell me that her secret ingredient was dried potato flakes, like the boxed ones we use to make mashed potatoes. That way, there is no need to add cream, and therefore, unnecessary fat. The dried potato flakes act as a 'smoother'. It binds the liquid and the pumpkin puree perfectly. 

       If like me, you're on a diet, this is the perfect lunch. Very satisfying and nutritious. The edible flowers add an elegant touch, but they're not absolutely necessary. 

      I've got to warn you: I didn't follow a specific recipe and didn't measure anything. All measurements are an estimate. I just kept adding ingredients until the soup came to the right consistency and flavor. 




15 ounces fresh, raw Pumpkin
1/4 cup Fat-Free Milk
1 tbsp dried Potato Flakes (the ones you'd use to make mashed potatoes)
1/2 tbsp Brown Sugar
Some Water
Salt and Pepper
Edible Flowers, Pumpkin Seeds & Cream for decoration (optional)




-Cut the pumpkin in bog chunks and put them in a sauce pan. Add some water, just enough to barely cover them, and boil until tender (about 10 minutes). 

-Remove from  the pan, do not discard the water. 

-Remove the skin from the pumpkin pulp.


   
                                       

-Put the pumpkin pulp back into the sauce pan with the remaining water and start mashing it with a potato masher or whatever you have on hand. 

Mash it
-Boil for another 3 minutes on high to evaporate some of the water. Then bring to a simmer.

-In a separate bowl, mix the milk and potato flakes. Then add it to the pumpkin. Cook for 5 more minutes on low. 

-Add the sugar, salt and pepper. 


















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many servings does this recipe hold?

Yadi I. said...

It makes about 4 cups. I'd say three normal servings.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.