06 February 2011

Dried-Fig Jam

        I found myself with a box of dried figs and no recipe to use them in. Before this, the only way I had ever had figs, was in the form of the famous cookie. Haven’t eaten a fresh fig yet.

       There are lots of recipes for fresh-fig jam, but very few for dried figs. These days you can find dried figs everywhere. I did not get mine in a fancy place.

This is a simple and quick recipe. If you’re going to eat it in less than a week, skip the citric acid. 


4 ounces dried Figs
1/2 cup Water
¼ cup Sugar
1 tsp fresh Lemon juice
¼ tsp Citric Acid


  • Add the chopped figs and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, simmer and let it cook covered for 25 minutes until the figs are soft. Remove from heat and keep aside until cool.
  • In a blender container, pour the contents of the saucepan and blend it till pureed.

  • Pour this back into the saucepan and add the sugar, lemon juice, citric acid and let it cook for about 15 more minutes on medium heat or until it reaches a jammy consistency.
  • Pour this into a sterlised dried glass jar with a tight lid and let it cool completely. Refrigerate to store.


lifewithjoyandbliss said...

I've been looking for a dried fig jam recipe - this one sounds easy! thanks for making and posting. Lovely photos too!
do you think a we bit of balsamic would ruin it? a la strawberries and balsamic?...

Juniper said...

I have a fig flavoured balsamic vinegar that is delicious, so I don't see why a little balsamic i nthe jam wouldn't hurt!

Anonymous said...

Delicious with some carmelized vadalia onions too. Put on foccacia with crumbled gorgonzola and small pieces of prociutto and bake for a bit.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. I am making some now. If you haven't tried eating fresh figs, you really should as they are very tasty. I like to take a fresh fig, stuff with goat cheese, wrap with proscuesto, stick in a tooth pick, and my husband grills it. I have used fig jam (warmed and mixed with balsamic vinegar) as a sauce for the fresh fig. Works great.

Thanks. Your blog looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I made fresh fig jam this summer that was entirely too sweet: what is your opinion of this? Is it more savory? Also, do you think I could can this for my pantry? Thanks! -Alissa

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.