17 January 2011

Whole Wheat Flour and Corn Pancakes with a Surprise Ingredient

Pancakes are such a tricky food to make, for me. They're either good or bad. There is no in between when it comes to pancakes. Most of the time, mine are bad. Except when they come from a box. It's so much easier when they come from a box. They rise perfectly and the flavor is always good. Not great, but good enough.

Lately I've been obsessed with Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, as you may have noticed by my other posts. Any excuse to make something with it is good. I mixed some of it with a little corn flour to make these delicious cakes. I'm getting used to making fresh pancakes from scratch. I think the secret lies in the flour to rising agents ratio. These particular recipe was incredible. The pancakes rose perfectly and were fluffy enough. 

As you can see by the picture, I didn't put any syrup on them. I have yet to meet a good pancake syrup. They're all too sweet and gooey for my taste. That's why I'm always adding extra ingredients to the batter, to get more flavor. This brings me to the secret ingredient: Yogurt! 

Someone once told me that adding Kefir or Yogurt to pancakes makes them lighter. I noticed a difference in flavor, but not in lightness. I recommend adding it if you have some already, if not, just add a bit more milk. 

I never recommend a specific measurement for milk when making pancakes. It comes from personal taste. I like a thicker pancake batter, some people like it watery. After you have added all the ingredients to a bowl, start mixing as much milk as you want until you get the desired consistency. Keep in mind that as you let the batter sit for a few minutes it'll get thicker. 

(Makes 8-10 pancakes)

3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3/4 cup Corn Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 Egg
3/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Vanilla or Plain Yogurt
3 tbsp Turbinado Sugar (or any other granulated sugar)


-Mix all ingredients in a bowl, except for the milk. 

-Start adding the milk until you get the desired consistency.

-Let it rest for 5 minutes.

-While the batter is resting, heat a pan with some butter in it to cook the pancakes.

-Each pancake takes about 4 minutes to cook. 



netflixandnutella said...

these look amazing! i interested in what the yogurt will do! thanks for this recipe!

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing...

About they syrup...I also tend to avoid it on my pancakes, french toast, etc. Too sweet! But recently I tried a syrup that was half balsamic vinegar (reduced obviously) and half pure maple. The acidity of the vinegar cut the sweetness quite nicely! Thought you might like to try.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.