08 January 2011

Movie Night Hot Chocolate



The perfect full bodied Hot Chocolate.

The only memories of Hot Chocolate I have are of my grandmother making this delicious drink in her very old country kitchen. She still makes it every night, but her recipe is a little different than this one. 

Today my mom and I stayed home for a movie night. Soon after the movie started, the need for munchies kicked in. There was nothing sweet in the fridge except for some different kinds of chocolate, milk and marshmallows. Everything went into the same pot! 

To be exact about what went into the pot: Nutella, Chocolate Chips, Orange Chocolate Bar, Half & Half, Milk, Vanilla and Marshmallows. Sounds like a lot, but every single ingredient shines in this drink. You can taste every one of them. The Orange Chocolate is so smooth and delicate, it lingers in the background. While the Vanilla gives extra warmth to the flavors. The Nutella leaves a nutty aftertaste in your mouth that is very unexpected  for Hot Chocolate. 

I tried to come up with the correct amounts for each ingredient, since I didn't really measure anything. I just put everything in one pot and kept adding milk until it reached the right creamy consistency. The final product is thick and creamy, it sticks to the cup. 

This recipe is enough for four people (about 3 cups). Add more milk for a lighter texture. 


Ingredients:

2 tbsp Nutella

1/3 cup Chocolate Chips

4 ounces Orange Chocolate (orange flavored chocolate bar)

2 Marshmallows

1/2 cup Half and Half

1 1/2 cups Milk

1/2 tsp Vanilla


Method: 

-Put everything except the Vanilla in the same pot and cook over medium heat until the chocolate has melted and you have a thick, rich and creamy chocolate drink. 

-Remove from heat and add the Vanilla.

-Serve hot and enjoy!


If you let it cool a bit, it'll thicken even further.


This is the Vanilla I used for the recipe. Tastes and smells amazing!





13 comments:

Yuliana :-) said...

hi, What is Half & Half??

Yadi I. said...

According to Wikipedia:'In the United States, half and half (known as "half cream" in the United Kingdom) almost always refers to a very light cream typically used in coffee. The name refers to the liquid's content of half milk and half cream.'.

You can buy it at the supermarket. Or just add some cream.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I. WANT. Looks delish! I wanna learn how to make good hot chocolate.

mtwt2c said...

Looks delicious! You have inspired me to try a little nutella in my next hot chocolate creation. Lovely photos too!

Kat said...

Your hot chocolate looks awesome and it sounds so delicious. I wish I could have it right now

Anonymous said...

so thick! looks like you melted a chocolate bar and drank it.

Anonymous said...

Me and my mom??? A blogger should use better grammar. Please say, "My mom and I" when it's the subject of the sentence. Use "me and my mom" or "my mom and me" when it comes after a word like "to," "from," "for." How to test your sentence? Take the other person out and leave only the "me" or "I." You wouldn't say "Me was watching movies," would you?

And your hot chocolate looks delicious. I'm going to have to get an orange chocolate bar as soon as possible.

Yadi I. said...

Thank you for the correction. English is my second language, sometimes it's hard for me to translate exactly what I'm thinking. I truly do appreciate the correction. I googled the phrase, apparently so many people use it like that, it has become 'normal use'. Which doesn't make it right.

Heather said...

WOW. That looks positively sinful. Nutella?!?! Awesome. :)

gastronomist said...

That looks sooooo amazing. I love hot chocolate!!!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow! That is my kind of hot chocolate!

Gale Reeves said...

Beautiful photography! Glad I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading/following your page.Please keep it coming. Cheers!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.