09 January 2011

Banana and Walnut Muffins with Raw Sugar and Oats Crumble Top

Tastes as decadent as it looks. 

       I have to confess that I don't like Bananas on anything, but I do love the fruit by itself. When I was little,  I used to eat five or six 'guineos niños' in one sitting while playing with my cousins. 'Guineos niños' translates literally to 'Kid Bananas'. They're not special bananas for kids. They are called like that because they are much smaller than the regular kind. Three of those make one normal banana. Just the smell brings me back to when I was a little girl playing all day at my grandma's house, with not a worry in the world.

       Although this isn't the first time I make some type of Banana muffin or bread, this is the first time I actually love it. LOVE it! And to think that the only reason I made these is because there were some over ripe bananas in the fridge that needed to be used. Otherwise, I would've never thought of making them.

       The flavor, the smell, the texture and color are spectacular. While the muffins were baking, the entire house smelled like sweet, ripe bananas. The surprising fact about them is that I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour to make them.

       I had been playing with the thought of buying some just to experiment and see what happened. I had used regular whole wheat flour before, but not the pastry kind. Huge difference! It is much finer and delicate that the regular kind. I sifted it twice just to make sure the muffins came out light and airy, instead of chewy. If you like your muffins chewy, don't sift the flour. But whatever you do, don't over mix the batter. Stop mixing when all the ingredients have combined. It'll only make the muffin tough and dry.

       The Raw Sugar (Turbinado Sugar) and Oats in the Crumble top, really make a huge difference. I have to admit that the top was a little overly sweet for my taste, but it tasted amazing anyway. Next time I'll add less of the crumble top.

       The final product is a light, crumbly, sweet, nutty muffin that will satisfy every sense. Play with the muffins in your hands a little. Take them out of the pan using only your hands. Use your fingers to break them before taking a bite into your mouth. Look at the crumbly insides. Listen to the crack sound the caramelized top makes when you chew it. Feel the crunchy walnuts in your tongue. Take your time to enjoy it. 

I used a six big-muffin pan. Yields 12 small muffins or six big ones, like the ones I made. 

 In a large bowl, mix together:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped Walnuts

In a separate, medium bowl, combine:
2 large ripened bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

-Stir the banana mixture into the dry mix until just combined. Then pour it into a muffin pan.

In a small bowl, mix together:
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cut in 2 Tablespoons of melted butter until mixture is moist and looks something like this:

-Then put it on top of the muffin batter already in the muffin pan. 

-Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 


Eat. Laugh. Run. said...

these look delicious! I was thinking about making banana bread before I go back to school, but I think these won me over :)

Pryncess104@aol.com said...

I wanted to make these delicious looking muffins but did not see any oats in the recipe. Can you tell me how much to add?

Anonymous said...

I wanted to make these delicious looking muffins but didn't see any oats in the recipe. Can you tell me how much oats to add?

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.